Monday, November 11, 2013















I'd Rather Be Reading!!
Well, I must admit that I am counting down the days until this semester is over!!! It's not that I haven't  enjoyed my classes, it's just that I'm ready to be finished with school.  I will graduate in December which means I will have more time to read what I want to read.  This semester I have definitely broadened my reading horizons, which is good for all of us to do occasionally.  I'm currently reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot and listening to  Allegiant Veronica Roth.  I am happy to proclaim that my listening time has increased by leaps and bounds lately.  It really does make folding laundry much more enjoyable.  I never thought those words would come out of my mouth.  I'm also excited because I have recently been able to get my oldest son hooked on listening to books.  He walked through the kitchen with his headphones on, which is rare for my non-music loving son, when I explained to my husband that he was listening to a book.  His reaction was priceless, "You have created a monster!"  This is just the type of monster I can live with.

Book Review:
Title:  I Beat the Odds: From Homelessness to The Blind Side
Author: Michael Oher
Publisher: Gotham Books 
Year: 2011
Lexile: 1130






     Most football fans know Michael Oher as the tackle for the Baltimore Ravens.  Many more Americans know him as Big Mike from the movie The Blind Side.  However, in this book, he really wants you to understand the real person behind football and the movie.  Michael Oher grew up in Memphis in a very loving family, but with a mom who was addicted to drugs.  During those bouts with her addiction, she would lock the door to their house and leave the children to fend for themselves.  Micheal describes that from a very early age he realized this was not the lifestyle that he wanted for himself.  He also realized that sports would be his way out.  Michael shares with readers what it was like growing up in the inner-city projects of Memphis.  He explains that he was bounced around from school to school so much that he was not that good of student; not because he was stupid, but he had never been taught.  
     I was amazed that he held no hard feelings for the way the Blind Side portrayed him as just being big and stupid.  He had to struggle academically, but was not stupid in the least.  He also played football for many years before living with the Tuohys.  Michael really just wants to be a role model for other young people who are in a similar situation to the one he found himself in all those years ago.  He loves all of his family, but wanted to make different life choices for himself.  This quote on page 194 tells a lot about the kind of person Michael Oher really is:
                      "A lot of people want to know what it's like to be a celebrity, and I feel bad when the
                       most honest answer I can give them is 'I don't know.' But it's the truth.  I don't feel like
                       a celebrity and I don't live like one.  I try to stay grounded, live simply, pay cash for
                       everything, and just focus on doing my job.  I try not to get into the "celebrity" mind-set
                       because then it becomes easy to think you can slack off just because you're a big name.
                       It also means that you have forgotten where you came from and the hard work and 
                       discipline that got you to this level of success.  The minute you start thinking that your 
                       reputation is enough to carry you is the moment that you start to slip."
     At the end of his book Michael lists different ways for those who would like to help to get involved.  I have provided  a link to a few of those resources he mentioned in his book.  I guess we never how a little help can go a long way in someone's life.  












Where do you keep track of your books?
I actually keep track of my books in two different places.  In my classroom I have a sheet of paper where I put just the name of the book after I have finished it.  I now have the last six years hanging on my chalkboard.  This has been a great tool to open up a dialogue with my students about the books I have read.  Many of them will ask me what I think about different books or if I have any suggestions for them.  Having this list makes it very easy.  I also keep track of all my books on Goodreads.  I love this site.  I have joined a couple of the groups on there which makes it nice when I want to talk books with others.  This is a great site to check out if you haven't yet.

Happy Reading!!!

Jennifer

1 comment:

  1. Looks like I'm going to have a lot to read this winter ( especially this one since everyone is class has read it.)

    What I really I like about your blog the most is that is that you talk about other things besides the book ( possible to get readers to open about their reading experience). In your response to wear I keep track of what I read, I have Shelfari. I'm in debate about switching to GoodReads because it ( Shelfari) does tend to act up.

    Good job and good luck!

    ReplyDelete